Today's cars, light trucks, and sport-utility vehicles are high-tech marvels with digital dashboards, oxygen sensors, electronic computers, unibody construction, and more. They run better, longer, and more efficiently than models of years past.
But when it comes to repairs, some things stay the same. The following tips should help you along the way:
Do your homework before taking your vehicle in for repairs or service.
- Read the owner's manual to learn about the vehicle's systems and components.
- Follow the recommended service schedules.
- Keep a log of all repairs and service.
When you think about it, you know your car better than anyone else. You drive it every day and know how it feels and sounds when everything is right. So don't ignore its warning signals.
Use all of your senses to inspect your car frequently. Check for:
- Unusual sounds, odors, drips, leaks, smoke, warning lights, gauge readings.
- Changes in acceleration, engine performance, gas mileage, fluid levels.
- Worn tires, belts, hoses.
- Problems in handling, braking, steering, vibrations.
- Note when the problem occurs.
- Is it constant or periodic?
- When the vehicle is cold or after the engine has warmed up?
- At all speeds? Only under acceleration? During braking? When shifting?
- When did the problem first start?
Once you are at our location, communicate your findings.
- Be prepared to describe the symptoms.
- Carry a written list of the symptoms that you can give us.
- Resist the temptation to suggest a specific course of repair. Just as you would with your physician, tell us where it hurts and how long it's been that way, but let the technician diagnose and recommend a remedy.
Stay involved. . . Ask questions.
- Ask as many questions as needed to fully understand your repair. Ask for laymen terms if needed.
- Don't rush the technician to make an on-the-spot diagnosis. You may ask to be called and apprised of the problem, course of action, and costs before work begins.
- Before you leave, be sure you understand all shop policies regarding labor rates, guarantees, and acceptable methods of payment.
- Leave a telephone number where you can be called.
Discover More About Appointments and Repair Services At Landmark Auto Group in Alexandria
Ask The Mechanic
Auto Repair Near Springfield
I was able to come into Max's shop and have my AC problem diagnosed and fixed within a couple hours, with a fair price. This was after going to the dealership, and having them unable to find the cause of the problem.
Matthew Ryan, 05/22/2023
Excellent Service Kind friendly, very honest. Professional Knowledgeable Quick service Best place I have ever been to for my car. Highly recommended I would never go anywhere else EVER BEST PLACE TO TAKE YOUR CAR!!!!
Kevin Ryder, 04/29/2023
A godsend. Had a large screw - washer & all - stuck in my driver's side front tire. Called assuming I would have to schedule an appt & was told I could come by same day (I was about 15-20 min. away in Kingstowne). When I asked how long a plug would take (had young son with me) I was told 15 mins. The gentleman was not lying! The tire was repaired very quickly. Another gentleman, Max, was so courteous and kind with my son while we waited (even showed him how the car lift works). Will be taking both my husband's car & mine here for any needed work in the future. Very affordable.
Amanda D, 02/01/2023